Thursday, June 22, 2017

A little about me...

Intro...
So you're here to learn about eyes! I am a recent graduate of Optometry school, and I am creating a fun blog to share with you everything I've learned about this 24mm diameter sphere during my 4 years in school. This blog is going to be about eye care including what its like to get an eye exam to my advice on some common problems that I see and even some interesting uncommon problems that pop up once in a while. I will also try to provide the latest news regarding interesting things about eyes that I have found, and my opinion about it.

A little (more than you probably want to know) about myself...

I grew up in the small town of Chapel Hill, NC. Its not as small as some of the towns you've heard of where there is only one street light, but with a population of ~50,000, it's nowhere as large as the metropolitan cities you commonly hear of. As a southerner, I grew up loving sweet tea, fried chicken, and grits. I had a slight southern twang, as my Californian friends would later point out, and would litter my dialogue with a "y'all" here and a "dangnabbit" there (kinda kidding about the latter), as well as cuttin' the "g" off all my present participles. As an Asian, I grew up learnin' how to use chopsticks (sometimes using them to pick at the pieces of fried chicken), eatin' bowls of rice for dinner, and studyin'... a lot... As disparate as these cultures may have been, they both taught me the true value of being a being an affable and virtuous person by respecting your elders and friends, holding open the door for the people behind you, and going out of you way to help someone in need. Both of these cultures have shaped me into the person I am today and I have to say, I am very proud of my southern and Asian roots.

As for my career history, I went to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Go Heels), where I majored in Biomedical Engineering. What is Biomedical Engineering you may ask? Its a field where we design medical equipment such as x-ray machines and prosthesis for those who have lost limbs. As much as I loved research and design, much of my days were spent alone in the lab soldering circuits or the library. I craved more social interaction and so I looked into the medical field for a future profession. The one profession that I constantly came into contact with through out my life was Optometry. I've always had problems with my eyes, and having a relatively high prescription I would go every year to get new glasses or contact lens prescriptions. It was one doctor's trip I actually didn't mind going to, as I always had some trepidation going to the dentist. My doctor would always take cool pictures of the inside of my eyes and explain to me what he was seeing. I asked to shadow him and that was when I fell in love with the profession. Optometry drew a lot of similarities to the problem solving nature of engineering. You are presented with a problem and through research you design a solution to the problem. Often times you had to think outside the box to design a solution that best fit the patient.

I eventually applied, matriculated, and graduated from Optometry school in southern California. Now I am a fresh graduate with a wealth of information to provide to y'all. And now, on to the good stuff...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About me

A little about me...

Intro... So you're here to learn about eyes! I am a recent graduate of Optometry school, and I am creating a fun blog to share with you...